I'm glad you're here.
A little about me
- I'm a library media specialist at a public elementary school teaching reading strategies, leading technology integration, designing STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, and math) challenges in our media center makerspace and providing information and reader's advisory services,
- I'm an anti-bullying and literacy advocate,
- I'm a freelance writer and book reviewer, and
- I'm an ordained minister.
- I enjoy making beautiful *usually useful* things with my hands,
- I thrive in the great outdoors and enjoy gardening, hiking, biking, camping, and geocaching,
- I love digging in the dirt and breathing deeply of the salty ocean air, and
- I'm really big on family.
How'd I pick the site name?The term 'makerspace' is big in the educational world. I consider myself to be and also encourage everyone I meet to become and remain lifelong learners. Learning keeps the mind alert and the brain active. I started this blog to be a place where friends of all ages can gather to create, explore, discover, inquire and share wholesome, family-friendly creative projects using a variety of tools and materials. I will make use of my Cricut Maker, Cuttlebug, HP instant-ink ready color printer, Janome sewing machine, Close To My Heart papercrafting supplies, as well as my varied assortment of on hand home office and craft supplies. Although I will post the sources of any newly purchased supplies, you are not obligated in any way to purchase from these sites. My goal is to freely share my projects and discoveries with you. I hope you'll join me and share your learning too.
My favorite quotes
Why do we fear when we already know the ending? -- Kimberly Bower
Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth." -- Mark Twain
Thoughts about books, reviews and site indexesAs a librarian I come across many new books every month. I scour professional journals and websites, research on Edelweiss and NetGalley, subscribe to feeds from a host of other sources and take part in Twitter chats to see what's new, coming up in the ranks, popular etc. I can't read every title. There just isn't time. I do, however, look closely enough to decide if I would read a title before requesting a galley, ARC, or review copy. Those titles will likely find their way into a New On My Nightstand post, a topical book list or research guide. NOTE: New On My Nightstand is soon-to-be-added to this site. I'll be playing catch-up for a bit but I feel strongly about sharing the best makerspace-related resources I find. Stay tuned! I'll have a Book Review Index for quick links to reviews.
I enjoy engaging with other librarians, readers and bloggers. I like to check out other blogs and share ideas. I love to promote authors offering content that meets the stated goals of this blog. Thanks again for stopping by. I hope to get to know you better.